The Families & Education Levy partners with schools across our city to fund the professional development of the RULER curriculum.
Take a look at this latest video from the Seattle Channel’s Our City, Our Schools series to learn more about how this curriculum is making a positive impact on students and their success.
How do students’ emotions impact their academic achievement?
Seattle Public Schools is using an approach known as RULER to help students and teachers Recognize, Understand, Label, Express and Regulate emotions.
Host Brian Callanan interviews RULER co-creator Marc Brackett and profiles the RULER program at Graham Hill Elementary, South Shore K-8 and Olympic Hills Elementary for a comprehensive look at how teaching emotional smarts can help boost academic success. This segment is part of the Our City, Our Schools special series, which offers an up-close look at Seattle Families and Education levy-funded programs designed to increase student success in school. Gain more insight on your feelings with the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence’s Mood Meter App — mentioned in the show.
Every year the State’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction selects schools who are top performers in the State, and 10 of those top performers are Seattle Levy-funded schools.
We are so proud of the great work happening in Seattle Schools!
- Overall Excellence – Awarded to the top 5% of all WA elementary, middle and high schools (based on three years of data).
- Mercer Middle School
- High Progress – Top 10% of schools making progress in reading and math combined performance for all students (based on three years of data).
- Cleveland High School
- Franklin High School
- Hazel Wolf K-8
- Ingraham High School
- Pathfinder K-8 School
- West Seattle High School
- Wing Luke Elementary School
- Special Recognition – Reading and Mathematics Growth – Top 5% of schools with a 3-year average Median Student Growth Percentiles in reading and/or math.
- Denny Middle School – Mathematics
- Mercer Middle School – Reading and mathematics
- Broadview Thompson K-8 – English Language Acquisition
Thanks for checking out our blog. We are excited to keep you up to date on what’s happening at DEEL.
Look here for updates regarding:
- The Families and Education Levy
- The Seattle Preschool Program
- Seattle ECEAP
- City of Seattle Child Care Subsidy Program
- Professional development for early learning and school-age providers
- Parent-Child Home Program
- Seattle Early Education Collaborative
- Step Ahead preschool
- And much more!